It is normal to have a bit of dental anxiety, but many people avoid visiting the dentist due to such problems. The fear takes over and leads to increasing dental problems, which will become difficult to treat.
Between all such fears came sedation dentistry to make life painless. The main aim of this method is to provide painless treatments to patients that are scared of needles and drills.
What is sedation dentistry?
A qualified dentist will give the patient a specific amount of sedation to relax the muscles, induce drowsiness, and relieve anxiety. There are different levels of sedation depending on the case of the patient. The common doses are:
- Minimal Sedation: In such cases, the patient is awake but relaxed. The person can respond to the instructions and verbal commands in this state.
- Moderate Sedation: You will be confused in this sedation dentistry dose. Some patients do remember the procedure after the effect is worn off. The person can respond to verbal commands but might require support from the dentist.
- Deep Sedation: This process is only used when you have high-level anxiety or the procedure is too painful. In this case, you will be nearing unconsciousness but can be woken up if needed.
- General Anaesthesia: In such a procedure, the patient is completely unconscious and wakes up only after the treatment is completed.
It is better to know the level of sedation you will be required depending on your dental state and sensitivity.
When should you get a sedation dentistry procedure?
The process is normally recommended for patients with a dental phobia who cannot cope with the whole treatment. This might be the right choice for people when they fall into any of the below categories:
- Sensitivity in the gums and teeth
- Struggle to sit in a stable position during the
- Dental anxiety from the needles and other
- Behavioural, cognitive, or physical impairments
- Sensitive gag reflex
- Extensive dental procedures will be
In such cases, it is recommended to go for sedation dentistry from a reputed Northern Beaches Dental clinic. This also ensures that you do not avoid any dental treatment.
What are the advantages of sedation dentistry for your dental treatment?
We know you might have doubts about getting sedation dentistry for the treatment. We might have given you plenty of information, but it’s always great to know the benefits:
1. Immediate Effect
The best part is that the process does not consume time and shows its results instantly. This is because the drugs are induced directly into the vein and help execute the treatment faster. This means you do not require setting a schedule before the sedation process as it is given just before everything starts.
2. No Anxiety
We understand that dental phobia and anxiety are real concerns. Over 60% of people have a fear of visiting the dentist for even regular checkups. This is due to unpleasant visits, painful treatments, or the environment. Sedation dentistry helps keep you calm during the whole process and receive treatment before it becomes a big issue.
3. Multiple choices
The type of sedation you provide depends on your medical condition and fear. Let us look at the common ones:
- Laughing Gas: You will get a mask over your nose and must breathe regularly. It helps in calming the patient and increasing their tolerance. The best thing is that its effects wear off quickly.
- Oral Sedation: The patient has to intake a pill before the procedure to deal with their anxiety. The great thing about this is that the patient will be conscious and responsive even after being busy.
- Sedation: It aims to reduce the discomfort and anxiety of the patient. The dentist will sedate the patient, and it will act instantly. They will be aware of the surroundings and the treatment.
4. Faster Results
It is often challenging for the patient to sit properly and for the dentist to complete the treatment. In such scenarios, sedation is preferred to let the patient rest without fidgeting during the procedure. It is considered an effective choice for the dentist to treat patients’ restlessness.
5. Painless Treatment
This has become a popular solution, making the procedure simple and efficient. It helps the dentist to work patiently without having to deal with the patient’s reactions and reflexes during the treatment. The patient does not feel pain or discomfort, ensuring a smooth process.
6. Less dental appointments
Most dental treatments require multiple visits to the dentist. With sedation dentistry, this can be reduced as the process can be done in one sitting. It will also depend on the procedure you are going through, but just that, the treatment is faster and painless.
How to care after sedation dentistry?
One thing you need to do after sedation dentistry is to have someone take you home rather than doing it all by yourself. Let us give you a few tips to ensure a healthy recovery after the treatment:
- If you are planning to be too active, then you might have riskier oral health. Also, please do not be too inactive as it will not allow the blood to pump perfectly. So, move a bit to wear off the sedative and bring you into the right state.
- Drink plenty of water, which helps to jumpstart the body and clear your mind from unconsciousness.
- Avoid eating sweet, spicy food or anything that will lead to digestive issues. Make sure you have a proper diet until the effect is completely gone.
- Some patients have to go through certain medications after the process. Ensure that you take them as prescribed and follow all the instructions.
The Perfect Solution: Sedation Dentistry!
We hope you now have all the information related to sedation dentistry. If you still have discomfort, connect with a professional dentist who will make the whole process painless and effective.